This grilled cheese sandwich is definitely one of a kind. The acidity from the sweet and tart pickled blueberries and red onions cut through the creaminess and richness of the buttery fontina. Mortadella adds an extra salty pork component and is livened up from textural crunch of the popcorn. White bread acts as a classic envelop to this cheesy delight that can be enjoyed year round as long as you have pickled blueberries on hand.
To see more about this recipe and to view step-by-step photographs from Grilled Cheese Social, click [HERE].
- 1/2 cup of fontina, grated
- a few slices of mortadella
- 1 tbsp pickled blueberries
- 1 tbsp pickled red onions
- 1/2 cup popcorn
- 2 slices of white bread
- 2 pats of salted butter
- **I always recommend using local or organic ingredients because hey, let's be real - they just taste better!**
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 7 minutes
- Total Time: 12 minutes
- Yield: 1 sandwich
1. To begin, add half of your fontina cheese on top of one slice of white bread. Next, add all of the pickled blueberries, the pickled red onions, and the mortadella. Set aside. On the other remaining slice of bread, add the rest of the fontina cheese and set aside.
2. In a large skillet, add 2 pats of butter and turn the heat to medium. Once the butter begins to develop little bubbles, add both slices of bread and cook open-faced for a few minutes until the cheese on both pieces begins to melt and the exterior develops a golden crust.
At this point, add the popcorn and carefully combine the two pieces of bread into one grilled cheese. As always, allow your grilled cheese to sit for a few minutes so that the cheese can stiffen up before you slice into it, then serve!